Monday, April 9, 2012

C25K: Day 1

So I got out there. I walked outside and pressed play on my C25K training app. "Begin walking." Then I started playing dance music to get me going. The intro of the song had an anticipatory beat and I felt like I was the only one there on the street about to burst into a full on sprint. I could barely hold myself from running until the app said it was time to start jogging. Finally, the app said, "Begin jogging." I took my first pace and my foot hit the ground. Suddenly this momentum that had been building in me felt clumsy and slow and the ground felt hard. The cool air that once felt like a gentle breeze felt more like frozen ice in my throat. My skin began to itch and freak out from my body not used to movement and cold air...

While I was jogging I saw these two women walking a sweet little dog. My imagination started to picture what they must think of me. This overweight woman running clumsily down the street, panting at 3 miles per hour. They had to think I was foolish, or ridiculous. But then I said, maybe they think I'm brave. Maybe they think, would I have the guts to do that? Then I thought about a month or two down the road. When my body is more limber and strong, running past these same two women, and them turning their heads n disbelief. THAT would be a complete victory for me.
In spite of my clumsiness, my fear, my self doubt, I did it. I may not have run as long as the app said to run, but I got out there and moved the whole time. It will get easier, I will get stronger. And I can see her. This woman...running to the dance music - strong, proud, slender, and graceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment