Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chicken...mmmmm....

One of my favorite recipes is a double roasted chicken recipe from Martha Stewart. I love how much chicken we get and money we save and easy lunches. Not only that, I brown the bones and make homemade broth. So delist and SOOOO good for you. Broth has a ton of healthy nutrients and minerals good that are über health for you.

Another great way to cook a whole chicken is in the crockpot. Just cook on low for 7 hours with some olive oil on it and your favorite spices.

Then, brown the bones in the crockpot overnight, and fill with 5 cups of water in the morning. Add carrots, an onion, a few celery stocks and a can of stewed tomatoes. Cook in crockpot all day, at least 12 hours; up to 24 hours . Drain the liquid from the bones, chicken left on bones and veggies, and discard solids...those veggies have no more flavor at hat point. You can refrigerate and use within 7 days or freeze up to 6 months. Skim the fat off the top & save as well. This is great for savory pie crusts or instead of butter or oil in cooking. I believe you can also make gelatin with it, but that will require more research...

This week I'm gonna try to smoke the chicken... Oh boy. I'll tell you how that goes! Mmmm..

Worked out at curves today and it felt great. I was pretty tired before I went, so I really had to commit to going. I'm very glad I did. I ate all my fruits and veggies today and drank about 9 glasses of water so far. I want to drink 3 more before heading up bed. Got to give my metabolism all the help it can get...

No comments:

Post a Comment